June 7, 2010

Semana 39 - Yuto

¡Hola Todos!
I woke up this morning and thought to myself "I can't believe it...I'm not a teenager anymore......I'm 20.....gah, I'm getting old!!!" ok ok, now I know all of you that are older than 20 just let out a little laugh of "puh-leeze, you've got a long ways to go before you're old", but give me a break, I'm breaking groung here! My birthday went by well today. It was a fairly normal day, but enjoyable nonetheless. As for gifts from here, President Northcutt and his wife send a package of candy to the missionaries on their birthday, so I got that, as well as a family here in Yuto gave me some slippers! They're just a hair small, but they'll still work for just walking and lounging around the apartment.
 
The branch has been making a lot of progress recently. Elder Sangroni and I have put the home and visiting teaching programs into place here and have started seeing success already! We've got all the members making their weekly visits now and I think it will turn out well in the end. We also recently called a new primary and young womens presidency and we're looking to see improvements in their organizations as well. Things are looking bright for the church in Yuto, even though the future in Yuto is fairly dark! I was able to confirm one of the boys that got baptized last week yesterday in church. It's always an interesting experience performing ordinances like that in another language! We were going to have 2 more baptisms yesterday, but due to some rather confusing difficulties, they didn't show up to the baptism. We did all we could, including spending the hour and a half to heat the water for them, but they didn't come, so I just had to settle for a good choir practice instead. It's alright though, the next baptism will happen in our new baptismal font! 2 of the branches in the district joined together a few weeks ago, so the extra supplies in the now unused church are being distributed out. We scored 20 new chairs as well as the new baptismal font that is exactly the same, except for the fact that it's blue and it supposedly has 0 holes in it! We're super-happy that we can knock about 30 minutes off of our prep time for baptisms because we don't have to clean up all the water that spills out of our current font!
 
I have to mention this one girl that we've been teaching in Caimancito. About 2 weeks ago, we left her a Book of Mormon to read, giving her the first chapter to read before our next lesson. When we returned this past week, she had read the first 2 chapters and told us exactly what happened in those 2 chapters from memory with tons of details and everything! It was a very amazing moment because she was right on with her summary and even started to pull out the lessons that you learn from reading those two chapters! I hope she continues because she'll definitely get a lot out of the book. Speaking of which, I also started reading the book again, but this time in Spanish. I'm amazed at the little mini-revelations that I've been receiving in my study of the book, and I can't wait to find out more!
 
Well I've got to run, as usual. Best wishes to the recent graduates of 2010!!! Don't get to excited about the summer ;)
 
Love,
Elder Powell



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: