June 14, 2010

Semana 40 - Yuto

Hola Todos,
So, it turns out I need to write the continuation of last week's letter: we left the cyber last week and headed to the chapel to grab a few things that we had left there. Elder Sangroni asked me to head to the back of the church to check and see if the water drained from the baptismal font alright (from the baptisms the night before). As I headed into the darkened chapel, I got tons of paper shreds thrown in my face! The lights went on and I saw about 40 people waiting for me: the surprise birthday party had begun!!! I was super, super surprised and definitely had a nice finish to my birthday: Yuto rocks!!
 
As some of you may know, the World Cup games in South Africa started up on the 11th. We definitely knew about it! Nothing much happened on Friday, but on Saturday we knew that we wouldn't be able to do much in the morning because Argentina was playing against Nigeria. It just so happens that the game was going on during our lunch, so we got to watch it ;) Argentina took the win 1-0, but they definitely could've played a better game. They made the goal at minute 5, which means nothing much happened for the rest of the 85 minutes of the match! We also caught the last ten minutes of the U.S. vs. England match--a 1-1 tie (which is alright cuz England's pretty good in comparison). We'll defintely be looking forward to more success on the Argentine front in the upcoming weeks!
 
I had a funny little incident a few days ago. We have an inactive member of the church working on repairing the tiling in the chapel's kitchen, so we've had to leave the alarm turned off in the church for the past few days. However, we didn't inform the sisters that clean the chapel that we wanted to keep the alarm turned off for now. We passed by the church on Saturday and at the last second, we wanted to check just to see. We didn't walk into the front door though because we were curious about the other door that's a little bit off to the side that leads directly into the chapel. Normally, when we walk into the front door, the alarm gives off a few little beeps to give us time to type in the code. I couldn't remember if there was a sensor in the chapel or not, but either way, I was expecting the little beeps if there was one to give me time to run over to the codebox. We opened the door, took about 2 steps in, and then an enormously loud alarm siren started sounding off!!! I could feel my blood draining out, from my head all the way down to my legs, because I was startled so bad!!! I ran over and typed in the code super fast to turn it off and avoid more embarrassment! It turns out that although we have a super-loud alarm, no one really does anything about it. The last few times that it's gone off, the police didn't come, we didn't know, and the neighbors likely don't care too much or aren't there anyways. So we're hoping if for some odd reason there's a troublemaker that enters into the church without permission, his heart will be softened to the point that he runs away scared or just faints on the spot!
 
Other than that, not much else happened this week. We did a lot more than usual this week to try to find new investigators, and walked away with less than usual...we've got a good list to visit for this week though, so we're hoping for the best!
 
Love you all!
-Elder Powell-



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: