June 21, 2010

Semana 41 - Yuto

¡Hola Todos!
We travelled to the capital of Jujuy as a district last P-day (the capital always has the same name as the province) to visit the sites and visit a few member some of the missionaries knew from past areas. Wow...it's quite spectacular walking around a 3-floored shopping mall when you've been in Yuto for a few months now, where essentially every building is 1-story! Except for the 6 hours spent in travelling there and back, it was a very pleasant visit.
 
We made our final trip to the little town of Caimancito because no one came to church, which caused our president to ask us to focus our efforts in Yuto for now. I'm a little sad that we didn't find anyone that fully progressed there, but I'm also glad to have more time to do things in Yuto again. As we were waiting at the bus stop in Caimán, a man came up to me and started talking to me in English! I had to make a quick switch to English-mode, but we had a nice conversation. It turns out he's one of the English teachers here and I think he was looking for a good practice moment. I tried to talk to him about the church, but I still am finding it extremely difficult not to switch back to Spanish as I start teaching things. Just the other day, an investigator randomly asked me to say a prayer in English. It's been a few months since I've said a prayer in English, and it shows--I struggled through the whole thing!!!
 
As for the world cup, things are going well for Argentina. We smoked South Korea 4-1!!! We had to travel during the game, but we listened to the bulk of it in the colectivo. As we got off, we found 2 other missionaries in the terminal watching the game, so we caught the last 20 minutes, which included Argentina making goals 3 and 4 within 5 minutes of each other! The terminal was packed with tons of people, eyes fixed on the various television screens spread throughout the terminal. As the players got super-close to the goal, lots of desperate moans sound out as a few others started to stand up because of pent up emotion inside of them. As the goals went in, the entire terminal errupted in cheers! Even a few people started dancing and running around in celebration! As the game ended and we started walking towards the chapel, a few fireworks went off and cars and motos were screaming through the streets, blasting their horns as loud as possible--it was pretty sweet witnessing it all! I'm told if we make it to finals, it's going to be just crazy!
 
The other day, I had 'empanadas de yakaré'--that apparently means crocodile! More than anything, it tasted like a really thin steak, but all the same, I get to add that to my list of funky things I've eaten!
 
On a more spiritual note, we were fortunate enough to find a family of 7 this past week that were just great! We decided a few days ago that if any kids said 'hi' to us in the street or called out our names, we would go to their house and share our message with the family. This was one of those cases, and boy did we have a wonderful lesson with them. I'll definitely let you know if the family progresses more!
 
Hope Father's Day went well for everyone! Have a great week!
Love,
Elder Powell



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: