May 31, 2010

Semana 38 - Yuto

Hola todos!
The transfer has already ended--way way too fast! It didn't quite end as we'd like, but it still ended well. We had another person in the hospital, so we got to make a few more trips there. I already described the lack of security there, but it actually gets better: this time, there were a couple of stray dogs wandering the hallways as well as a guy smoking in the middle of the hospital as well! Be grateful if you're near a good hospital where all the doctors don't leave and come back every day as well ;)

We had the big May 25th celebration this past week--Argentine's 200th birthday. The celebration was nice, but absolutely killed the missionary work for the week--nobody was home!

As I said, we've switched to next transfer now--I'm still here in Yuto for at least another 6 weeks with Elder Sangroni, so we'll have a good 4.5 months together. We can already read each other's minds on occasion! I also heard of a lot of the other transfers in the mission: my dad and stepdad (1st and 2nd companions, respectively) died today (flying home because they completed the 2 years), so I'm a little sad about that, but I've got 2 brothers (missionaries trained by the same "dad") to have fun with!

I made a huge plate of french toast for the seminary kids this week to let them try out the maple syrup I made. I received good remarks for the french toast, and about half-good remarks for the syrup--they still prefer dulce de leche.

Sunday was the big day for this week. I had to improvise a full-length primary lesson, but it turned out to be a great lesson on how to have a happy family. I then headed to the chapel where Elder Sangroni informed me that I would be conducting the meeting...as the meeting was about to start! So I rushed to get everything organized and ready, but we had a good meeting as well. I'm sorry to surprise everyone again, but we then had 2 more baptisms after church!!! I'll describe the situation of both baptisms real quick:
About a year ago, the missionaries in Yuto found the Herrera family and started to teach them. They found that the daughter had a lot of interest in the church and just about baptized her, but the parents weren't super-supportive--they eventually stopped passing by the house. Fast-forward to my time in Yuto--we were teaching in another member's house, close-by, when this same daughter came to the house, unexpected and uninvited (but certainly welcome), to listen to the lesson we were going to share. We found her teaching record in our area book, found the house, and started up teaching the family again. The whole family is actually pretty great, but unlike what you're thinking, we actually baptized one of her younger brothers, Gabriel, who has been coming to church on his own for the past few weeks now, even though he's 9 years old! We're looking to baptize more members of the family this transfer. The other boy is Gabriel Vidal. The Vidal family was a reference from our new young woman's president. We started teaching the 3 kids and set their baptismal date for yesterday. Because of a few last-minute complications, we didn't baptize the 2 older daughters, but the son was ready! So yeah, we ended our Sunday nicely!

Hope all is ending well in school! I love you all!
Love,
Elder Powell



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: