May 3, 2010

Semana 34 - Yuto

Hola Todos,
Well, yesterday was my 8th birthmonth in the mission, which means I'm a third of the way through...wow, that was fast! We celebrated Elder Sangroni's birthday last week: we ate way too much cake. There's been a ton of English songs this past week: "I'm Yours" - Jason Mraz, "Bailamos" - Enrique Iglesias, the theme song from "Mama Mia", "Real Lady Marmalade" (spell?), "I'm just dying in your arms tonight", and tons of other 70's rock songs.
 
We had a fantastic lesson the other day with a couple of less-active sisters. The secret really wasn't anything we did, I just asked an interesting question and then the others struck up a good gospel discussion, coupled with good scriptures every once in awhile. So if you're looking to have a spiritual lesson, I'd suggest finding out a way to do less talking yourself and getting the rest of the group talking and teaching themselves the lesson through your guided questions (bonus points if they start asking each other good questions during the discussion). It's been awhile since I've had a good discussion like that. I'd say the last was in the MTC, with studying at BYU coming in 2nd place!
 
I got to call home yesterday as well, since Mom won't be home for Mother's Day! It was nice to hear everyone's voices--I didn't notice any changes in voices though. Now I get to work another 8 months to earn my next phone call!
 
I had our branch choir sing yesterday during church as well. We sang "Divina Luz" (Lead Kindly Light) and it turned out alright, even with their very-untrained voices. We're working on "La oraciĆ³n del profeta" (Joseph Smith's First Prayer), but with the music changed to "Come thou Fount of Every Blessing", for a performance during district conference on May 23rd. I found out the other day that Elder Diaz of the Seventy will be presiding...and I'll be the pianist! Oh the fun things I get to do down here!
 
We held a special fireside for the young men of the branch last night where we set apart their president and 2 of the quorum presidents, I taught the history of the Aaronic Priesthood, we listened to David Beck's talk in General Conference, and then we talked about their responsibilities in the church, including initiating the first ever home teaching program in Yuto! I hope that things work out well with them because they are vital to the survival of the church here.
 
Hope all is going well in everyone's busy lives! Drop me a note if you ever get bored ;) (jeffrey.powell@myldsmail.net)
Love
Elder Powell



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: