April 13, 2009

The Sky's The Limit

Even though I'm right at the head of finals' week, I miraculously found time to fly home and back in a short 24-hour period! Due to tight scheduling conflicts, I needed to fly home to get my stake president interview for my mission papers! It was a truly rich and rewarding experience talking with him for an hour and a half. In this short time, I was also able to celebrate Easter with the family, including participating in the col-de-sac easter egg hunt.
I was fearful of a rather boring flight back, until many things happened. I first discovered that my particular flight back to Salt Lake City was going through commercial test runs for a new inflight Wi-Fi system! We were invited to pull out our laptops, cell phones, and anything else with Wi-Fi to try out the system and see how well it worked. I definitely took advantage of this and whipped out my laptop (once at 10,000 feet of course). Internet worked great! I first came to this little screen:

Which led me to this nice little homepage:
It seemed like a typical Yahoo! webpage until I noticed the flight tracker.

I was actually able to track the plane's location, travel speed, estimated time of arrival, and altitude all in real-time!!! I was thoroughly impressed! I could even look up large attractions or special locations that I was flying over or nearby and then bring it all up in full screen:

I took the survey afterward and (unfortunately) there was a question asking how likely I would use the service if Southwest were to charge (I think) $4.30 for it. Of course I put a resolute no there, but I still enjoyed it while I could! To top it all off, I had the most amazingly hilarious flight attendant crew ever! It consisted of these two guys that were totally laid back, wise-cracking jokes left and right, and even singing a couple of Southwest jingles! We were taking off and as I was staring out the window, all of a sudden I hear "When you wish upon a star...." over the intercom!!! XD Complete parody of the song advertising for Southwest; it was priceless! I was thoroughly pleased with that flight.......except for the fact that TSA searched my suitcase...my bag weighed 45 pounds containing supplies for my student apartment I'm moving into for spring term. I discovered the dish soap and jam jars leaked out of their respective baggies onto some of the contents of my suitcase and cost me a half hour of cleaning upon my return to the dorms...yeah it wasn't too happy, but all's well now!

2 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

Oh darn it! I thought I had those bags sealed tight! I hope it wasn't the ranch or your stuff is going to smell yummy now!

Jeff Powell said...

uhhh...I did mention it was the dish soap and jam jars...