February 2, 2009

Jon Schmidt

It's 7:15 AM.....monday morning......hardly a soul on campus.............minus the few of us that got up early to purchase Jon Schmidt tickets on Day 1!!! :D I got in line about 7:30 and found 7 people in front of me. By the time the info desk opened at 8:00, there was a semi-good line behind me. I felt pretty good about myself getting tickets 33 and 34 out of like 1000!!!

Now I know some of you will notice that the ticket says no photography, but I just couldn't help it. I needed to make up for the extremely blurry pictures from last time I saw him.
Michelle and I had some time to kill while waiting in line...

We doubled with Michelle's sister, Nicole, who was accompanied by Spencer.

I had to take this next picture for all of my techie buddies out there...Check out that epic lighting!!! :D

So anyways, the concert opened up with Jon's son, Spencer, who had a little rock band that he's starting up. Apparently they'll have a cd out in a few months. His playing style is very much like Yellowcard, The All-American Rejects, Simple Plan, and other (what I call) pop-rock bands. They were pretty good with their instruments, but the singing could use a little work. I'm a hypocrite though because I don't stand a chance at playing guitar. This is why I like my piano! Spencer is to the stage-left of Jon:

Then we got the main attraction! Jon was accompanied at times by Steve Nelson who was crazy-awesome at cello. This is him actually drumming on his cello:

If you don't know Jon, he's quite the performer. Not only is he amazing at playing the piano, he can also play simple tunes laying upside down:

...with his feet...

...and backwards!

He'll even do an Irish dance if you so please:

Partway through the concert, Jon invited a Jason Black up to the stage. Jason ended up taking 3 of Jon's songs and twisting them in such cool ways! For instance, he took "All of Me" and wrote "None of Me" which took the form of an epic minor twist to All of Me! It was amazing! He also spiced up "Dumb Song" and wrote a medley between "Waterfall" and "If You Could Hie to Kolob"!!! He was great!

This is Steve attempting Pachelbel's Canon.......he fell asleep:

This was Jon's last act. He wears a special padded wig for Dumb Song. He just goes to town swinging his head around as he plays; it's hilarious:

This is why he needs padding, here shown he's smacking his head on the piano:

And then after the show:

EDIT: Needed to give some photo-credit. Even though she used my camera, Michelle gets credit for any pics of just me, Nicole and Spencer, Jon when he's laying down, using his foot, and any of Jon with his red wig. Michelle also suggested the lighting photo.

5 comments:

sugarcoatedcyanide said...

yeah! I was hoping you'd post about the concert. You got great pics! and he did alot more cool stuff this time!! Sounds like he's a little frugal when it comes to warm-up acts. Remember the one we saw and her 70's get-up? Glad you had a great time. Although standing in line early for tickets that don't give seat assignments? Almost not worth it.

Jeff Powell said...

But then again, you did see the amazing location I got to sit in!

Michelle said...

Oh, psh, you know I took about half those pictures! And you didn't even think about taking pictures of the lighting until I told you to :P

Jeff Powell said...

hehe, my apologies for not giving proper photo credit. I've editted it into the blog now.

Michelle said...

haha, you know i was just teasing you :P