July 19, 2010

Semana 45 - Villa Alem

¡Hola Todos!
Phew, it seems I've got a lot that happened this week that I need to inform you of! It turns out Elder Perkins has OCD, anxiety, occasional panic attacks, and a recent run of depression, making his mission a rather interesting and difficult one! I spent a few hours Tuesday morning studying the scriptures a bit extra because he couldn't get to sleep until 5:00 and stayed in bed until 9:00 (we're supposed to leave at 8:30 and do studies starting at 3:00). He then had to go to the cyber to write his psychiatrist, which took more than an hour too. Well, Tuesday midday, he got a call from President Northcutt, telling him that he was going home on medical release! I know he mentioned that he was taking the maximum amount of anti-depressants that you can on the mission and apparently it wasn't helping too much, but I'm not sure of the other factors that went into the decision. Either way, he then had to talk to his psychiatrist again, as well as phone his mom to inform her of the emergency transfer home, which ate up our day. He was carted off to the offices Wednesday afternoon, which put me in a trio with the district leader, Elder Mayhoffer, and his comp, Elder Smith. We thought I'd have a comp in a couple days, so we just worked in their area for the next couple of days. They work in an area called Diza, which is the ward that shares the church building with my ward. When we hit our weekly planning session, we figured it would actually be much more time before I got a new companion, so we've now planned to jump between the two areas every once in a while to spread out the work between the two areas. We're even utilizing our two apartments as little home bases for us--it's kinda fun actually! We'll see how everything goes this upcoming week.
 
It got WAY cold this past week--0 to 1 degrees celsius with 93% humidity and occasional rain!!!!!! I couldn't believe that I actually had to put on my underarmor, a long-sleeve button-up shirt, a vest, and my gigantic winter coat with gloves, and I was still cold! I'm used to the dry cold of Spokane, but that humidity is just penetrating!!! This week seems like it'll warm up a little because the sun finally came out, but man that was intense! It even snowed in lots of areas in the mission! My area just had a wet slushing going on, but still!
 
As far as the church building and the ward goes, it's all huge--at least from what I'm used too! My ward had about 70 in church, which was so great! It's nice seeing the organization of everything actually working as well. I went to ask a few things from the bishop (who was called 2 weeks ago!) and he basically directed all my questions and concerns to other people in the ward who could answer them for me! I also ended up playing piano for the Diza ward in their sacrament meeting. We spent Sunday afternoon starting up work in Villa Alem, basically getting to know the members a little better and trying to find the leftover investigators from the last companionship. Again, we'll see what progress we can make this upcoming week. I love my new area though!
 
That's about all for this past week--more details next week!
Love you all!
-Elder Powell-



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: