July 12, 2010

Semana 44 - Villa Alem

¡Hola Todos!
That's right, I got transferred! I'm now in the capital city of the province Tucumán. My area of the city is called Villa Alem, and it's definitely colder here! I'll start with this past friday. We were getting a little antsy because we hadn't received the call yet which would tell me if I was leaving or not. We spent all friday preparing a big activity for the branch where we celebrated all the birthdays of the branch. We prepped a slideshow of a bunch of random photos that we took of the members, we had a ton of food, and a few games to play, but unfortunately we had about half the people we were expecting there...perhaps planning the activity on Argentine's independence might have been a bad idea. Oh well, it was a fun night anyways. We finally got the call on Saturday, telling me that I was going and Elder Sangroni was staying in Yuto, making his stay there 9 months--he ends his mission there as well! It was a wonderful and unforgettable experience in Yuto and I'm definitely glad that I was there--for now, my favorite area! It was a little rough trying to pack everything and make my final visits with all the members, but I managed to get it all done. All the families were extremely generous in their farewell gifts, letters, and wishes--I was almost overwhelmed by the love. I even finished off the night with a little surprise party--complete with lomito (a type of meat, like a thin steak) sandwich and a cake! and yes, they popped a balloon full of flour over my head too :P I was very happy with the farewell though.
Just so you guys know, I left my used pair of shoes, a suit coat, the matching pants, the old belt, and one of my 3 underarmor-type shirts there as a donation to the branch, especially Nahuel that is preparing for a mission in about a year. I won't need replacements either--I'm doing fine for now.
The trip down to Tucumán lasted about 9 hours in total. I did fine and landed safely and found the other missionaries, including my new companion, Elder Perkins, waiting. Elder Perkins is a big and tall lad, weighing in at 260 pounds (yes, he told me). He has OCD, so I'll be sure to be nice and cautious in the stressful moments. He's a big teddy bear though--big heart, lots of good desire, and he hugs a lot! We'll have to work together on loosening his Spanish tongue a little as well as finding our way around here because he only has 1 transfer in Villa Alem, but I'm getting excited. It was wonderful to land in the terminal and go to the equivalent of a good-sized grocery store instead of dealing with the smallness of Yuto! Supposedly, Tucumán capital is the largest city in the mission! So we'll see how everything goes.
I've gotta run, but I love you all!
-Elder Powell-



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: