March 29, 2010

Semana 29 - Yuto

¡Hola Todos!
I don't know where they came from, but I've been seeing those ripstick skateboards everywhere! I've had a couple opportunities to try and ride one, and I'm getting a little better--I'm sure Nick will still beat me up on it though.
Dad asked about the time that my comp and I will have down here. My comp is on his 3rd transfer here, and apparently Mission President told him he'd have 5 transfers here. I'm expecting 4 transfers myself because I'm thinking the counselor and president are on a fairly regular switchoff on knowing the area and members well, so I'll need a transfer or 2 to "train" the next branch president when Elder Sangroni leaves
Dad also was talking about the toilet paper in England being more like a thin, glossy paper. Yeah, that kindof describes what napkins are like down here--just thin wax paper. The toilet paper is thin, grey/brown paper that breaks rather easily--really not diarrhea-friendly...Good thing the bidet exists down here! For those that are unfamiliar (that's about everyone in the U.S.), it's a completely separate unit in the bathroom that looks like a sink, but really close to the ground and without the spout. You give a squat over it, reach back and twist the knobs, and you get a nice wash underneath! Super diarrhea-friendly! ;)
Speaking of cultural differences, I decided to start logging all of the American songs that I hear down here, because apparently the language barrier doesn't really matter too much to the people down here, so I hear these songs in English on the radio all the time! This week alone, I heard "My life would suck without you" by Kelly Clarkson, a few Coldplay songs, "Hot & Cold" and "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga, "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, and a few others that I know the tune, but not the names.
(In response to Mom's letter) I can't believe Parker Geren already is giving his farewell! That's insane! You also spoke about the organ-skills of Brother Brocklebank...yeah, I already knew he's a beast at that instrument.
My companion requests that if you send me a package, you need to send Orbit gum. Apparently he likes it a lot :P
The people here (here as in the mission) have a very common interest in Mexican food--mostly their breads. Everyone always asks me if I know how to make tacos or their version of a tortilla (Argentine tortilla is very, very different--it's not flat and flimsy, it's a cube of bread that breaks apart in layers). One of the families here obtained a recipe for tacos and we tried it out. It turned out a little more like slightly crispier Americanized tortillas, but we had good-tasting tacos nonetheless, topped with homemade guacamole using the "palta" (avacado) straight from the tree ;)
I got to conduct my first sacrament meeting ever yesterday! and teach primary, play piano in both primary and sacrament meeting, and give a talk too, all in the same Sunday! Talk about super busy! Everything turned out well though--the members are very forgiving of my little mistakes here and there ;)
Not much else to tell about. Hope all is well at home! We're getting excited for zone conference as well as General Conference this week! I might not get to watch Saturday, but Sunday has a better chance because we're organizing the branch trip over to the district center (2 hours by bus)!
Love
-Elder Powell-



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: