March 22, 2010

Semana 28 - Yuto

¡Hola Todos!
I totally forgot last week: one of the young men was walking around with a Gonzaga University shirt on!!!!!! I couldn't believe a tshirt (from the 2005-2006 year) from my little Spokane made it all the way down to this tiny little town of Yuto!
Dad, I'd like to change the scripture on my missionary plaque: 3 Nephi 5:13 "Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life." Cool, huh!
I received mom's and grandma's package (from Jan 30) on the 18th. Thanks for the Valentine's wishes, especially you guys in the Reeder family! I think it could've gotten here sooner, but apparently we've been having "corta ruta" problems (cut route): people set a tree trunk and other stuff in the highway and they won't move it until they get paid by the government (or something like that). In other words, our mail bag doesn't make it to where it needs to go.
We got hit by a really bad rainstorm the other day--everything was just flooded! I was woken up at 2:30 in the morning by the leaks in the ceiling that were drenching my mattress, so I had to move my bed in the middle of the night. We then got to help a bunch of people take out the lakes that remained in front of their houses the next day! We also found a nice layer of brown in the church because the water entered through the doors of the church and left a bunch of water as well. 2 days after the flood, 2 guys from the church offices in Salta came to the chapel to give it a good inspection (of course)! They sent in a cleaning crew a few days later to help us out. There's still a lot more that needs fixing and/or replacing too. It's not my fault, I know that much! :P
We had a successful move-in on Friday into our new little house. It was just 5 houses down the street, so we just carried everything over, with the help of the young men, and got it all done in an hour and a half. Dad asked about the paying situation. For those that don't know, we, the missionaries, pay a certain sum to the church before heading out on the mission. The church then uses those funds to pay off things like the rent and food for the missionaries. Essentially, we pay for everything, but we do it through the church. We have to deliver the payment to the owners though, so it's not like we don't need to worry about it.
English class went pretty well. I just spent the whole first class tackling most of the pronunciation stuff in English. It's interesting having to explain how to talk in English. I've just taken it for granted in the past, but now I have to think about "ok, where is my tongue when I say this? Where's the accent? Why do I phrase this particular phrase like this?" and lots of other interesting questions. Quite the neat experience!
Not too much else for this past week. Hope have great stories for you next week!
Love,
Elder Powell
 



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: