February 2, 2010

Semana 22-Salta

Hola Todos,
I’ve known for the longest time that Spencer Finn (and Jeff Winkfield from one of the north wards) was heading home at the end of January. I really, really can’t believe the time has already come! Devon Wood goes next transfer, followed by Witter Case, and then right as I hit my 1-year mark in September, Matt Birch heads out as well!!! For now, I’m sitting at my 5-month mark tomorrow, but hey, I only have 19 months left!
I was looking at what Matt Rawlins was saying about Haitians being exquisitely clean and there’s kindof a connection to Argentines as well. They themselves aren’t very clean, often VERY much in need of a dentist and someone to fix their black and green toenails, and they throw trash around in the streets as well, but often I find that they have a fettish with washing the floor inside their house, and then finishing off with washing the sidewalk in front of their houses. Of course, it’s only clean for about 2 seconds, but that’s what I find them cleaning the most.

As for dad’s question about Argentine government and police: I don’t see very much government around here. I do see the police just standing around doing nothing about 90% of the time though. We always get a good hello from them though! I’m not sure if there are closed areas due to danger in the mission, but I do know Tucuman is known to be a little more dangerous.
Elder Contreras speaks no English at all. He speaks a little quicker thanks to his Chilean roots so it’s a little difficult to talk with him, but we’re doing fine. He has the ganas (just a little bit stronger than “he wants to”; ask one of the Spanish-speakers) to work in the richer parts of our area that Elder Young and I didn’t really touch at all. We’re especially looking forward to working hard in this area called San Lorenzo. We have to take a 15-minute bus ride to get out there (don’t ask me why it’s in my area, it just is for now), but the houses there range from the Hainsworth’s house to the Hawkins’ home! We dug out the address of a less-active family there and visited them yesterday and they are still a great family, reading scriptures, praying, etc., just not going to church because of the distance. We’re starting up a project to start up a branch out there! I’ll definitely let you know how it goes! It was a little tough leaving Elder Young, but he’s in 100-120 degree weather!!! I’m just fine here in Salta where we get a nice drizzle and rain every once in awhile!Baptisms haven’t happened yet, but we’re super-close with a couple people...
Thank you family for your Christmas love notes: they finally arrived on the 27th!

I tried out Argentine McDonalds for the first time today. The triple mac meal (not sure if you have triple macs in the US now, just add one extra patty to the big mac, that’s it) costed me 22.50 pesos, which is about 5.92 dollars. I still thought it was expensive though; I’m used to cheaper food here! Regular box of Frosted Flakes (Zucaritas in Spanish) costs about 9-10 pesos = 2.50 dollars! I enjoyed the taste of Americanized food for a little bit though.Well, hope all goes well for everyone this week!
With Love,
Elder Powell

P.S. I’m also making my ‘mission pics’ picasa album public so that people can check it out. http://picasaweb.google.com/cpu3140(/MissionPics)Thanks for letting people know!

No comments: