October 21, 2009

Semana 7


Hola Todos,
Thanks for the apples and the pie--super delicioso!
You were curious about a missionary having swine flu............well........3 missionaries were quarantined this past weekend--one Saturday, Sunday, and Monday!!!! Not sure what they had, but it started with a chest cough and led to vomiting. Our whole district is taking 75 mg of Tamiflu a day for 10 days (this morning was pill 2). The church offers (and practically forces upon missionaries close to exposure) the dosage for free through tithing money. The 6 of us that remain are feeling healthy so I think we won't suffer any more losses. We'll start getting people back starting this Thursday, but until then it's going to be quite the unique experience. 2 of the sisters were quarantined so the one remaining sister is a "solo" sister, meaning that her companion is our district, unless she's with a sister from our zone, so her schedule has been pretty interesting. The quarantined elder was in my bedroom so his companion (the district leader) joined my companionship to make it a trio. We're doing fine, no huge struggles going on, it's just a little weird having so few in the district. Hopefully we'll all be over sicknesses by November 2nd!
I've started teaching lesson 2 in Spanish. It's been a little interesting because I have to incorporate the Word of Wisdom into the lesson, which adds even more vocab to learn, but it's been going pretty well. Only 1 more week and I'm in the oldest district!!!Last Tuesday, I attended a devotional with David F. Evans. My love for the Book of Mormon just grew like no other. He made some interesting points, including "How is an investigator going to feel the Spirit and gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon when you give them a 10-minute reading assignment (such as 3 Nephi 11) for a 4+ day waiting period?!" He stressed the importance of using the Book of Mormon in our teachings, to give bigger reading assignments out, and to use the beginning of the Book of Mormon. Your challenge this week: in Preach My Gospel, Chapter 3, Lessons 1-3, there are a bunch of red-lettering headers. Within 1 Nephi, and preferrably in the first like 10 chapters, find a verse/some verses for as many headings as you can. Brother Evans alone pointed out quite a chunk of them in just the first 3 chapters! It seems the Lord intended to place the fundamental basics of the gospel in the beginning of the Book of Mormon, which makes sense, doesn't it?
Speaking of challenges, Nick and Jason still have to meet their challenge from last week ;)My last P-day is next week, so only one more email/letter-writing day from the MTC!!! I guess I should start posting my address down in Argentina:
Argentina Salta Mission
Los Eucaliptus 75
4400 Salta
Salta
Argentina

Double check that for me please. Correct it and me if there's differences. And again, Dearelder.com is going to be a lot better for everyone while I'm in Argentina. I'm not sure what the email situation is going to be like down there (because that would be better than dearelder), but I'll keep everyone posted once I know.Alright, my time is about up.
¡Os amo!-Elder Powell-

No comments: